Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The 2006 World Cup's Best Moments and Looking to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa

I spent a lot time watching the World Cup in 2006. It was basically perfect and it met all expectations. I'm looking forward to the 2010 World Cup and I'm wondering how South Africa will compare. I am hoping for it to be a success but I can't tell how things will go down. As the first African Nation to host the FIFA World Cup a lot of precedents will be set as well as high expectations. I don't want to doubt anything but I'm hoping everything goes well.

I included a clip of the best moments from the 2006 World Cup. We'll see what happens in 2010. Scroll down for a discussion on South Africa.

 

In the meantime lets look at what is happening in South Africa right now.image 

In the last few weeks South Africa's government has been dealing with a rise in attacks on foreigners.

13,000 people have been forced to leave their homes. It all started a week ago in North Johannesburg where mobs haveen loking for foreigners to attack. The foreigners have been blamed for taking jobs from locals and for contributing to crime.

Sadly enough many of them are Zimbabweans looking for better opportunity in South Africa. Sounds a lot like what is happening in the U.S. without all the violence, or at least so it seems.

The government fears that these xenophobic actions could threaten the economy as well as the tourism. South Africa needs to be in the best shape possible in order to host the World Cup in 2010 and events like this if not properly addressed can threaten the bid. Granted, I doubt FIFA would leave at this late in the game. However, these incidents cast a shadow on a country struggling to make its way with so much opportunity ahead but many obstacles.

I always like to give a visual perspective to these issues so check it out.

 

What do you think will happen?

Reuters

BBC News

No comments: