Thursday, May 1, 2008

Second Times a Charm?

Cover songs.  So being a sort of music elitist (it sort of comes with the territory) I am always quite torn when it comes to cover songs.  Sometimes I hear a cover and think that they should be illegal or used for illegal torture.  Let's think back to Britney Spears and "I Love Rock 'N Roll" or Kid Rock and "Feel Like Makin' Love" ... I'm sure you're getting the picture.  Then again a cover happens that puts my faith back into humanity.  Like Johnny Cash and "Hurt"... tear.

So you may ask why I bring this up.  Well, the first is the new cover of "Beat It" by Fall Out Boy featuring John Mayer.  A friend brought this to me and she was in love.  Being the person I am, I of course was very skeptical of a Michael Jackson cover.  I mean he was the Prince of Pop...



Thoughts?  So I Fall Out Boy used to do this as a cover at their live shows because they would play around with the main riff on the tour bus.  In all honesty it's not that hard.  Just because you can play it doesn't mean it's meant to be played.  Yea, you've guessed it, I'm not really that much of a fan.  Surprise, Surprise.  I mean why listen to this when I can have the original plus I think Michael could kick their ass any day.....  I will give props, though, to John Mayer.  I like that he didn't just copy Eddie Van Halen's solo.  I respect both solos for what they are and how they fit into each song.  I also kind of like the fact that it is known that each of these great guitarists play the solos, but it is not well-known.  Way to be the ultra hip figure lurking in the shadows.  I am interested to see a video for this single though.  I want to see Michael take on the Fall Out Boys.  Ew, not like that.

Next cover that has been on my mind lately...




Yep Miss Johansson covering Tom Waits' "Falling Down".  Now how do we feel about the whole Scarlett covering all Tom thing?  I'm still on the fence.  I haven't made up my mind.  Supposedly Tom approves though... Now I must preface this with I am not the biggest Tom Waits fan, so people may definitely have stronger opinions than I do.  I'm not going to fully judge until I hear the whole album.  Plus Mr. David Bowie himself makes an appearance.  That's impressive.  To be honest, though, Scarlett is pretty much only getting away with this because she is Scarlett Johansson.  Let's take a moment too to point out the video.  Really?  We get one of these videos?  We get it, your a real person.

Well I leave you with your thoughts and another one of the best covers EVER.  Take it away Mr. Buckley:

No comments: